Over Wallop, Hampshire
Wallop, Over, a parish in Hants, 2 miles S by E of Grateley station on the L. & S.W.R., and 6 WNW of Stockbridge. Post town, Middle Wallop. Acreage, 4672; population, 516. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Earl of Portsmouth, has descended to him from a period prior to the Norman Conquest, and gives him the title of Baron. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £600 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Portsmouth. The church is a handsome building of flint in the Early English style; the chancel was rebuilt in 1866, and the nave and aisles in 1875.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Over Wallop St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Stockbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Over Wallop from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wallop, Over (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Over Wallop are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.