Northington, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands 4 miles NW of Alresford, and 6 from Micheldever station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Alresford. Acreage of the civil parish, 2414; population, 276; of the ecclesiastical, 430. The property belongs to Lord Ashburton. Grange Park was the seat of the Earls of Northington, is a mansion built by Inigo Jones, and is now the seat of Lord Ashburton. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Swarraton, in the diocese of Winchester. The present church was erected by the late Lord Ashburton in 1889, and is a building in the Perpendicular style, with western tower. A parish room was erected in 1888 for the joint parishes of Northington and Swarraton.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Northington St. John|
|Poor Law union||Alresford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Northington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Northington (St. John))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Northington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.