Cheddington, a village and a parish in Buckinghamshire,. on the L. & N.W.R., at the junction of the Aylesbury branch,. 6 miles S by E of Leighton-Buzzard, including part of Seabrook hamlet, and with a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Tring. Acreage, 1426; population, 654. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £260 with residence-Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church is Perpendicular English, consists of nave and chancel, with a square tower, and has a carved open pulpit, and a decorated octagonal font. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cheddington St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Leighton-Buzzard|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Cheddington 1552-1812, Buckinghamshire is available to browse online.
The parish register dates from the year 1538
Church of England
St. Giles (parish church)
The parish church of St. Giles, situated a short distance from the village, on elevated ground, surrounded by trees, is a plain edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells: the octagonal font is of Decorated character, and the pulpit of ancient carved oak: a stained east window was presented in 1866 by the Rev. Arthur Perceval Purey-Cust M.A. rector here 1853-62 and dean of York, and his wife, Lady Emma Purey-Cust; the reredos, of glass mosaic, was presented by the Rev. Lionel Digby William Dawson-Damer M.A. rector here 1862-69; and in 1894 a stained window and a carved oak screen were erected, in memory of the Rev. Frederick Burn Harvey. S.C.L., J.P. rector here 1869-93: a silver cross and two silver candlesticks were presented in 1926 by Lady Powell in memory of Sir Douglas Powell, formerly senior physician to the King: the pedestal alms-box, which stood in the church from 1615-1854, was found in a dealer's shop, and was restored to the church in 1935: the church was restored in 1858: there are 200 free sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Cheddington was in Leighton Buzzard Registration District from 1837 to 1935 and Aylesbury Registration District from 1935 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cheddington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cheddington (St. Giles))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Cheddington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cSeabrook
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online