North Charford, Hampshire
Charford, North, a parish in Hants, on the river Avon, at the verge of the county, 1 mile from Breamore railway station. It was known to the Saxons as Cerdicesford, and is said to have taken that name from Cerdic having formed his court at or near it, on the founding of Wessex. It has no ecclesiastical status, and its church is in ruins. Acreage, 874; population, 87.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||North Charford St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Fordingbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Charford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Charford, North (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of North Charford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.