Newtown (Soberton), Isle of Wight
Newtown, a hamlet in Soberton parish, and a chapelry partly also in Hambledon parish, Hants. The hamlet lies 3½ miles E of Bishops Waltham station on the L. & S.W.R., and 11¼ N of Portsmouth. It has a post office under Bishops Waltham; money order and telegraph office, Bishops Waltham. The chapelry was constituted in 1851. Population, 650. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £168. The church is a building of flint and stone in The Early English style.
Online maps of Newtown (Soberton) are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.