Newnham, a parish, with a village, in Hants, 1 mile from Hook station on the L. & S.W.R., and 4½ miles E by N of Basingstoke. It has a post office, of the name of Newnham Green; money order and telegraph office, Hook. Acreage, 1404; population of the civil parish, 446; of the ecclesiastical, with Maplederwell, 624. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The living is a rectory, united with the perpetual curacy of Maplederwell, in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £270 with residence. Patron, Queen's College, Oxford. The church is old and curious, lias been restored, and contains some interesting monuments. There is a Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Newnham St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Basingstoke|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newnham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newnham (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Newnham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.