Newchurch, Isle of Wight
Newchurch, a village and a parish in the Isle of Wight, The village stands adjacent to the river Yar, 4½ miles SE by E of Newport, and has a station on the Isle of Wight Central railway, 88 miles from London. It is approached on one side by a road cut through an almost precipitous ridge, consists chiefly of one clean and pretty street of cottages, and has a post office under Sandown (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Sandown. The surface of the parish is very diversified, and shares largely in the beauties and other attractions of the island. Acreage, 4621; population,1526. The living is a vicarage, united with that of Wroxall, in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £240 with residence. The church stands on the brink of a steep wooded bank; was given by William Fitz-Osborne, soon after the Conquest, to his abbey of Lire; retains few marks of antiquity, and none of the Norman age, yet shows some Early English lancets, and has interiorly some rude Decorated arcades; is plain and cruciform, with a wooden SW tower; contains in the N transept, memorials of the Dillingtons; and was restored in 1883. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Newchurch All Saints|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newchurch from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newchurch (All Saints))
Online maps of Newchurch are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.