Netley Marsh, Hampshire
Netley or Netley Marsh, a parish in Hants, separated from Eling parish in 1894, 2 miles from Totton station, 2½ from Lyndhurst Road station on the L. & S.W.R, and 6 W by N of Southampton. It has a post office of the name of Netley Marsh, under Southampton; money order and telegraph office, Totton. The parish includes the hamlets of Calmoor, Bartley, Woodlands, and Ower. Population, 1177. The parish council consists of seven members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; value, £114 with residence. The church is a handsome edifice in the Early English style, and was erected in 1855. There is a mission church at Calmoor.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Netley Marsh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.