Nately Scures, Hampshire
Nately Scures, a parish in Hants, on the Basingstoke Canal, 4 miles E by N of Basingstoke, and 2 miles from Hook station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Basingstoke; money order and telegraph office, Hook. Acreage, 521; population of the civil parish, 175; of the ecclesiastical, 250. The manor was anciently known as Natan Leaga, or formed part of a forest tract so designated in the Saxon Chronicle, takes the latter part of its present name from the word scora, signifying a shaw or a coppice. The livins; is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £140 with residence. The church is Late Norman, with a circular apse, and with a very rich trefoil-headed N door, and is one of the smallest churches in England.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Nateley-Scures St. Swithin|
|Poor Law union||Basingstoke|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Nately Scures from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Nateley-Scures (St. Swithin))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Nately Scures are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.