Milton, a parish in Hants, on Christchurch Bay, with a station on the L. & S.W.R., 97 miles from London, and 7 W by S of Lymington. It comprises the tithings of Ashley and Chewton, and has a post and telegraph office under Lymington;. money order office, Hordle. Acreage, 6370; population of the civil parish, 1670; of the ecclesiastical, 1295. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £130 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Milford. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1831. There are Congregational, Baptist, and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Milton St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||Lymington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Milton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Milton (St. Mary Magdalene))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Milton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
Villages, Hamlets, &cAshley (Milton)
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.