Milford, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands on the coast, opposite the Needles, 3¼ miles SW by S of Lymington, and 4 from Milton station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. The parish comprises the tithings of Milford, Lymore, Efford, and Key-haven. Acreage, 4696; population of the civil parish, 1982; of the ecclesiastical, 1074. There are several handsome residences in the neighbourhood. A rivulet from the New Forest traverses the parish, and is well stocked with fish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; value, £190 with residence. Patron, the Bi&hop of Winchester. The church has Norman portions, is chiefly Early English and Early Decorated, has a tower with grotesque heads in the string course, and with long double lancets above, surmounted by a spire, and contains a monument by Macdowel to Sir James Carnac, and one byFoley to Admiral Sir William Cornwallis. The vicarage of Pennington is a separate benefice. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Lymington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Milford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Milford)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.