Martyr Worthy, Hampshire
Martyr Worthy, a parish in Hants, 3 miles NE by N of Winchester station on the G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R. It contains the tithing of Chilland, and its post town is Winchester. Acreage, 2016; population, 285. Worthy Park is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church has good Norman doorways and a wooden tower, and is in good condition. The churchyard contains a rich coped tomb.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Martyr Worthy St. Swithin|
|Poor Law union||Winchester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Martyr Worthy from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Worthy, Martyr (St. Swithin))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Martyr Worthy are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.