Longparish or Middleton, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands on the river Test or Antou, 4 miles SWof Whitchurch, has a station on the L. &S.W.R., 65 from London, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Whitchurch. The parish contains the tithings of East Aston, West Aston, Forton, and Middleton. Acreage, 5329; population, 799. The manor belongs to the Widmore family. Longparish House is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; value, £193. The church is ancient. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Longparish St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Andover|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Longparish from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Longparish (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Longparish are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
Villages, Hamlets, &cAston, East and West
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.