Lockerley, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands 1½ mile from Dunbridge station on the L. & S.W.R., and 5½ miles NW of Romsey. It has a post and telegraph office under Romsey; money order office, West Dean. There is a parish council with seven members. Acreage of the civil parish, 1648; population, 608; of the ecclesiastical, 804. The living is a vicarage, with East Dean annexed, in the diocese of Winchester; value, £200 with residence. The church is a handsome building with tower and spire and a peal of bells. It was erected in 1890. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lockerley St. John|
|Poor Law union||Romsey|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lockerley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Lockerley (St. John))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Lockerley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.