Leckford, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands on the river Test, 2 miles NNE of Stockbridge station on the L. & S.W.R., and has a post office under Stockbridge; money order and telegraph office, Stockbridge. Acreage of parish, 2235; population, 276. There are some chalk pits. The living is twofold-a vicarage and a sinecure rectory, in the diocese of Winchester; value, £360 with residence. Patrons, St John's College, Oxford. The church is ancient but good. There is a Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Leckford St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Stockbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Leckford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Leckford (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Leckford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.