Knights Enham, Hampshire
Enham, Knight's, an ecclesiastical parish in Hants, 2 miles NNW of Andover station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, and money order and telegraph office, Andover. Population, with Smannell, 591. Six Roman roads intersect the parish, and researches have brought to light here the walls of a Roman camp, the sites of more than one Roman villa of more than ordinary magnitude, coins of Antoninus and Constantine, and numerous fragments of tesserae, Samian ware, vases, pottery, and tiles. Here perhaps-and not at Farnham, East Sherborne, or Whitchurch, as antiquarians have variously supposed-was the Roman town Vindomum or Vindomis. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; value, £330. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Knights' Enham St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Andover|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Knights Enham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Enham, Knights' (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Knights Enham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.