Idsworth, a township and a chapelry in Hants, contiguous to Sussex, and 2 miles from Rowland's Castle station on the L. & S.W.R., and 3 E of Homdean. Post town, Horn-dean; money order and telegraph office, Rowland's Castle. Acreage, 1728; population, 362. The manor, with Idsworth Park, belongs to the Jervoise family. The living is annexed to the rectory of Chalton, in the diocese of Winchester; united value, £700 with residence. The church is very old, and in the Early English style. There is a small Congregational chapel at Finch Dean.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Catherington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Idsworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Idsworth)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.