Calverton, a parish in Buckinghamshire, on Watling Street and the river Ouse, adjacent to the Buckingham Canal, 1 mile S of Stony-Stratford, and 2½ miles WSW of Wolverton station on the L. & N.W.R. Post town, Stony-Stratford, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1981; population of the civil parish, 658; of the ecclesiastical, 311. A Roman camp lay around the site of the church, and Roman relics have been found there. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; gross yearly value, £540 with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Egmont. The church was built in 1818, and was restored and enlarged in 1870. There are six almshouses and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Calverton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Potterspury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1559
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The parish church of All Saints, rebuilt of stone in 1818, has since been further restored and a south aisle added by the Rev. the Hon. Charles George Perceval, rector 1820-58; it is an edifice in the Middle-Pointed and Norman styles, and consists of chancel, nave of three bays, south aisle, south porch and a fine western tower containing 6 bells, a sixth having been added in 1905, when also the other 5 were re-hung: in 1897 a flagstaff was erected on the tower in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria: there is a brass dated 1519 to John Rokys and his wife Joan: in the course of the restoration the chancel was decorated in polychrome, the stained glass of the east window renewed, and the panels of the pulpit filled with figures of St. John the Baptist, St. Paul, St. Peter and St. Barnabas: the west door, for a long time blocked, was re-opened, and the font placed in the lower stage of the tower, which now serves as a baptistery: all the windows are stained: the area is seated with open benches and paved with encaustic tiles: the reredos is adorned with mosaics, representing the Adoration of the Magi: there are 220 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Calverton was in Potterspury Registration District from 1837 to 1927
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Calverton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Calverton (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Calverton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online