Houghton, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands 1½ mile W by N from Horsebridge station on the L. & S.W.R., and 2½ SW by W of Stockbridge. It has a post and money order office under Stockbridge; telegraph office, Horsebridge railway station. The parish includes the tithings of Houghton Drayton and North Houghton. Acreage, 2672; population, 400. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; gross value,, £625 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, in the Early English style, and comprises nave, chancel, aisles, S porch, and a wooden tower containing three bells. It was restored in 1882.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Houghton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Stockbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Houghton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Houghton (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Houghton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.