Hinton Ampner, Hampshire
Hinton Ampner, a parish in Hants, 4 miles SSW of Alresford station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Alresford; money order and telegraph office, Bram-dean. Acreage, 2379; population, 386. Hinton House is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £290. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Winton. The church has Saxon features, and an interesting low side window, and contains a curious piscina; it was almost entirely rebuilt in 1879. There are an endowed school and other charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hinton-Ampner All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Alresford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hinton Ampner from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hinton-Ampner (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Hinton Ampner are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.