Headbourne Worthy, Hampshire
Headbourne-Worthy, a parish in Hants, on the river Itchen, and 1½ mile from Winchester station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Winchester; money order and telegraph office, King's Worthy. Acreage, 1785; population, 247. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £400 with residence. Patron, University College, Oxford. The church is ancient and good, with remains of Saxon work, and contains, in a loth-century annexe, a much-mutilated rood of the same date, on what was originally the west wall of the church. In the churchyard is the grave of Bingham, the author of " Origines Ecclesiastica," who was rector from 1694 to 1723.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Headbourn Worthy St. Martin|
|Poor Law union||Winchester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Headbourne Worthy from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Worthy, Headbourn (St. Martin))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Headbourne Worthy are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.