Hawley, a small village and a chapelry in Yateley parish, Hants. The village lies near the river Blackwater, the boundary with Surrey, and 2 miles from Farnborough station on the L. & S.W.R. The chapelry was constituted in 1838. It has a post office under Blackwater; money order and telegraph office, Blackwater. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £400 with residence. The church is a Gothic edifice of 1838, and was enlarged in 1882. All Saints' Home for girls was erected in 1881 for the accommodation of 30 children; there is a small church attached for their use.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hawley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hawley)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Hawley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.