Havant, a small town and a parish in Hants. The town stands on Langstone harbour, and has stations on the L.B. & S.C.R. and L. & S.W.R., 66 miles from London, and a post, money order, and telegraph office. It was known at Domesday as Havehunte; consists of four streets in cruciform arrangement, and named after the cardinal points; and communicates with Hayling Island, across the Langstone Channel, by a swing bridge. There are a town-hall, a bank, and several good inns. The extensive waterworks and pumping station, the property of the Portsmouth Corporation, which supplies the whole of the town of Portsmouth with water, is at Havant. A weekly market is held on Tuesday, and fairs are held on 22 June and 17 Oct. Tanning, malting, brewing, parchment-making, and a trade in flour are carried on. Acreage of the civil parish, 2786; population, 3474; of the ecclesiastical, 3066. The manor belonged anciently to the monks of Winchester. Leigh Park: is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church contains portions of all periods from Norman to Late Perpendicular; is cruciform, with a central tower; and contains an effigies of Thomas Aylward, the secretary of William of Wykeham. A very handsome Roman Catholic church was erected in 1874-75. There is a Congregational chapel. The rectory of Redhill is a separate benefice.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Havant St. Faith|
|Poor Law union||Havant|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Havant from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Havant (St. Faith))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Havant are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
Villages, Hamlets, &cRowlands Castle
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.