Hartley Westpall, Hampshire
Hartley Westpall, a parish in Hants, 4 miles from Hook station on the L. & S.W.B., and 6 NE of Basingstoke. It has a post office under Basingstoke; money order and telegraph office, Sherfield-on-Loddon. Acreage, 1400; population of the civil parish, 239; of the ecclesiastical, 245. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; value, £245 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is ancient and good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hartley-Westpall St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Basingstoke|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hartley Westpall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hartley-Westpall (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Hartley Westpall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.