Greatham, a parish in Hants, on the east verge of the county, 2 miles from Liss station on the L. & S.W.R. and 5 NNE from Petersfield. It has a post office under West Liss; money order and telegraph office, West Liss. Acreage, 2031; population, 288. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; value, £245 with residence. The church is a building of stone in the Decorated style, and was erected in 1875.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Greatham St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Petersfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Greatham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Greatham (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Greatham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.