Broughton, a parish in Bucks, on the verge of the county, 3 miles SSE of Newport-Pagnell station on the L. & N.W.R., and 4 NE by N of Fenny-Stratford. Post town, Newport-Pagnell, which is the telegraph office; money order office, Milton Keynes. Acreage, 937; population, 122. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £58 with residence. The church is a building of stone in the Early Decorated style, and has some ancient brasses and monuments.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Broughton St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Newport-Pagnell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Broughton 1720-1837, Buckinghamshire is available to browse online.
The parish register dates from the year 1720
Church of England
St. Lawrence (parish church)
The parish church of St. Lawrence is a small building of stone, chiefly in the Early Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 4 bells: upon the walls are late 14th and 15th century paintings of the Last Judgment, the Dismemberment of Christ, St. George and the Dragon and two figures, St. Eloy and Queen Helena: at the north-east angle of the nave is a good staircase turret: in the chancel are two memorial windows, the east window being in memory of Rev. John William Irving, curate and rector of Broughton for 50 years, and within the communion rails are three brasses to Agnes, wife of John de Broughton, son of Robert de Broughton, 1399; to John de Broughton, son of Robert de Broughton, 1403, and to Mary (Edmonds), wife of Thomas Duncombe esq. 1655, with four sons and three daughters; there are also memorials to the family of Chester: on the north side is a stained window to W. Ridgway: on the south side a modern window to the memory of Mrs. Irving, the wife of Rev. John Wm. Irving M.A. rector 1854-93: in the church, attached to two old desks, are chained copies of Jewel's Defence of the Apology of the Church of England, 1567. and Erasmus's Paraphrase of the New Testament, placed here in 1632; there is a brass tablet in memory of the men connected with the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: the church was thoroughly restored in 1880-1, at a cost of £1,225, and affords 112 sittings. In the churchyard is an ancient coped stone coffin-lid.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Broughton was in Newport Pagnell Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Broughton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Broughton (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Broughton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online