Gatcombe, Isle of Wight
Gatcombe, a parish in the Isle of Wight, on the river Medina, 3 miles S by W of Newport. Post town, Newport, Isle of Wight; money order and telegraph, office, Newport. Acreage, 1303; population, 208. The manor belonged from the time of King John till a recent date to the Worsleys, and passed to Lord Ashburton. Gatcombe House -was built in 1750 by one of the last of the Worsleys. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, —£500 with residence. Patron, the University of Oxford. The church is partly Early English, partly Late Tudor, has a pinnacled tower, contains a curious wooden effigy of a knight, and is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Gatcomb St. Olave|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gatcombe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Gatcomb (St. Olave))
Online maps of Gatcombe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.