Froyle, a parish in Hants, adjacent to the river Wey, If mile SW of Bentley station on the L. & S.W.R., and 3¼ miles NE of Alton, which is the post town. Acreage, 3665; population, 729. Froyle Place, a mansion of the time of Charles L, with gabled roofs and square mullioned windows, is a seat in the neighbourhood. A considerable tract is under hops. The living is'a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; value, £175 "with residence. The church has an embattled tower. There are an iron church and Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Froyle St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Alton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Froyle from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Froyle (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.