Brill, an ancient town and a parish in Bucks. The town stands on an eminence within the ancient Bernwood Forest, 3½ miles S of the Julian Way, and 7½ NNW of Thame station on the G.W.R. There is a tramway which starts 1 mile N of Brill, and passes through Waddeson Road siding, Wescott, Wotton station, Church siding, and Wood siding to the Quainton Road station of the Metropolitan railway. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Thame, and was formerly a market-town. Its ancient name was Brechullar Brinhely. Edward the Confessor had a hunting-lodge adjacent to it; Henry II. kept his court here in 1160, attended by Becket, and again in 1162; King John spent his Christmas here in 1205; Henry III. held his court here in 1224; and Sir G. Gerard, under Charles I., placed a force here in 1642 and repelled an attack by Hampden. The parish comprises 2939 acres; population of the civil parish, 1251; of the ecclesiastical, with Boarstall, 1439, The manor was given by the Conqueror to Nigel the huntsman, and has descended from him to the Aubrey family. A chalybeate spring in the immediate neighbourhood of the village has some medicinal repute. A grove near the town is probably a relic of Bemwood Forest. Mnswell or Muzzle Hill is crowned by an ancient camp and a hermitage, and commands a fine view. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Boarstall, in the diocese of Oxford; joint net yearly value, £187 with residence. The church is partly Norman and good. It was restored in 1890, all the ancient features of the building being retained. There are a Wesleyan and two Congregational chapels. Little London is a hamlet half a mile S.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Brill All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Thame|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1569
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The parish church of All Saints is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Norman, Early and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, restored in 1883, nave, south porch and a plain and low western tower of Perpendicular date with a small lead-covered spire and containing 6 bells, a sanctus bell and a large chiming clock, placed in 1894, at the cost of Mr. T. H. Seargeant, of London: at the east end of the north aisle there is an Early English window; and there are also two Norman doorways: the font consists of a seven-sided basin on a hexagonal base: an addition was made on the north side of the church in 1838, when the old Saxon wall on that side was removed: the church was restored in 1889-1901: the Saxon wall on the south side was removed and a south aisle corresponding to the north built: all the old features of the church were retained: in the sanctuary are panels of oak to the memory of thirty men connected with this parish who lost their lives in the Great War, 1914-18: the communion plate includes chalices and patens dated 1570 and 1685: there are 300 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Brill was in Thame Registration District from 1837 to 1932 and Aylesbury Registration District from 1932 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Brill (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Brill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online