Farlington, a parish in Hants, on Langston harbour, 2 miles W of Havant, and 2 from Cosham station on the L. & S.W.R. It includes the village of Purbrook and the greater part of what is now called Waterlooville. Post town, Havant; money order and telegraph office, Bedhampton. Acreage, 2389 of land and 601 of foreshore and water; population of the civil parish, 1352; of the ecclesiastical, 974. Farlington Redoubt is in this parish, and is well mounted with guns. The waterworks which supply Portsmouth are in this parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £322 with residence. The church is Early English, has a fine east window, and curious cross-legged effigies, and is good; it was well restored in 1874-75. The incumbency of St John's, Purbrook, is a separate benefice.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Havant|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Farlington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Farlington)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Farlington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.