Bradwell Abbey, Buckinghamshire
Bradwell-Abbey, formerly an extra-parochial tract, now a parish in Bucks, contiguous to Bradwell parish, 3½ miles SE by E of Stony-Stratford, and 2 S of Wolverton station on the L. & N.W.R. It has a post office under Stony-Stratford; money order and telegraph office, Stantonbury. Acreage, 447; population of the civil parish, 16; of the ecclesiastical, 455. A small black priory was founded here in the time of Stephen by a Baron of Wolverton, and given at the dissolution to Arthur Longfield, and is now a farmhouse.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newport-Pagnell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Bradwell Abbey was in Newport Pagnell Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bradwell Abbey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bradwell-Abbey)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Bradwell Abbey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online