Exbury, a parish in Hants, at the mouth of the river Beaulieu, nearly opposite Cowes, 4 miles SW of Fawley, and 5 from Southampton station on the L. & S.W.R. It includes the tithing of Lepe, and has a post and money order office under Southampton; telegraph office, Fawley. The area is 2117 acres of land and 485 of foreshore and water; population, 329. Exbury House is a chief residence. White brick-clay is found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £199 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is a structure of white brick, and contains a monument to Mitford the historian. Inchmerry House is the seat of Earl de la Warr.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||New Forest|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Exbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Exbury)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Exbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.