Ewhurst, a parish in Hants, 3 miles SE of Kingsclere, and 5 from Basingstroke station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Basingstoke; money order and telegraph office, Kingsclere. Acreage, 477; population, 55. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £83. Patron, the Duke of Wellington. The church is good. The name Ewhurst is "Werste" in the Domesday Book, and is probably the name of the original proprietor, as the adjacent parish of Wolverhampton is the town of "Ulvere."
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ewhurst St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Kingsclere|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ewhurst from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ewhurst (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Ewhurst are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.