Bradwell, a parish in Bucks, 1 mile S of Wolverton station on the L. & S.W.R., and 4 miles from Newport Pagnell. It has a post office under Stony-Stratford; money order and telegraph office, Stantonbury. Acreage, 917; population, 2899. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £60 with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English and Decorated styles. There is also a small Wesleyan chapel. New Bradwell, which forms part of this parish for civil purposes, is ecclesiastically a separate vicarage annexed to Stantonbury. The church, a building of stone in the Geometric style, was erected in 1859. There are also Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels. There is a station here on the Newport Pagnell railway.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bradwell St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Newport-Pagnell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1577
Church of England
St. Lawrence (parish church)
The parish church of St. Lawrence, given in 1275 to the priory of St. Mary at Tickford, is an ancient edifice of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles. consisting of nnall chancel. nave. south aisle. with an arcade of three bays. north porch and a western tower containing 4 bells. of which two were made by de Wymbris about 1300: in 1909 the bells were restored. and their number increased to six, the gift of Charles Baily esq, in memory of his father, but the upper part of the tower has been removed: remains of a 13th century inscription still appear on the chancel arch: the church was restored in 1868, and affords 170 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Bradwell was in Newport Pagnell Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bradwell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bradwell (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Bradwell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online