Ellingham, a parish in Hants, on the river Avon, near the boundary with Dorset, 2- miles N by "VV" of Ringwood station on the L. & S.W.R. It contains Linwood, Rockford, Highwood, Linbrook, and Blashford, and its post town and money order and telegraph office is Kingwood. Acreage, 2559; population, 260. A priory, attached to St Saviour's in Normandy, was founded here in the time of Henry II., by William de Salariis, and given by Henry VI. to Eton College. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £120 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Norman-ton. The church is ancient, but good, and contains an old wainscoted pew that used to belong to Lady Lisle of Moyles Court, who was beheaded for harbouring rebels after the battle of Sedgemoor. The church was well restored and enlarged in 1885.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ellingham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Ringwood|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ellingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ellingham (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Ellingham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.