Eastleigh, formerly a chapelry in South Stoneham parish, Hants, but constituted a civil parish of itself in 1894, is 5¼ miles NNE of Southampton, under which there is a post, money order, and telegraph office. It has a station on the L. & S.W.R., 72 miles from London. The population at the census of 1891 was 3582; since then the L. & S.W.R. carriage works have been transferred into the parish from Nine Elms, and the population in 1894 was estimated at 7000. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; value, £170 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church was built in 1868, and is in the Early Decorated style, with 400 sittings. There is also a licensed mission church, with accommodation for 420 people; and there are Bible Christian, Wesleyan, Baptist, and Roman Catholic chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||South Stoneham|
|Poor Law union||South Stoneham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Eastleigh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Eastley)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Eastleigh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.