UK Genealogy Archives logo

Bradenham, Buckinghamshire

Historical Description

Bradenham, a parish in Bucks, on the Chilterns, 2 miles N by W of West Wycombe station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under High Wycombe, which is the money order office;. telegraph office, West Wycombe. Acreage, 1101; population, 152. Bradenham House belonged formerly to Lord Windsor, and was visited by Queen Elizabeth in 1566; was the death-place, in 1848, of D'lsraeli, the author of " Curiosities of Literature;" and is now the seat of the Graves family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £232 with residence. The church is a building of flint and stone, in the Late Decorated style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyBuckinghamshire 
Ecclesiastical parishBradenham St. Botolph 
HundredDesborough 
Poor Law unionWycombe 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1627


Churches

Church of England

St. Botolph (parish church)

The parish church of St. Botolph is a small building of flint and stone chiefly in the Late Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, north chapel, south porch, with a fine Early Norman doorway, and a low Norman embattled western tower containing a clock and 3 bells, the second of which is by Michael de Wymbris, who died in 1310. and the third by Thomas Mear, 1799: a portion of the nave and the whole of the chancel were rebuilt in 1863 in the Decorated style: there is an ancient brass to Richard Redeberd, rector 1521, vested in full Eucharistic vestments (buried here) and in the east window of the chapel are some remains of old glass: here also is a marble tablet to the parents of Lord Beaconsfield, Isaac D'Israeli esq. D.C.L. author of The Curiosities of Literature. and his wife Maria; he resided for many years at Bradenham House, where he died 19 Jan. 1848. and was interred in a vault under the chapel, which was built by Lord Windsor as a memorial chapel: the west window was erected in commemoration of the Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1887, and there are four others: in the chapel is an altar tomb to the Hon. Charles West. eldest son of the Rt. Hon. Charles. Lord Lewarr and also to Elizabeth {Pye) his wife: there are 100 sittings.


Civil Registration

Bradenham was in Wycombe Registration District from 1837 to 1974


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bradenham from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Bradenham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online

DistrictWycombe
CountyBuckinghamshire
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtHP14
Post TownHigh Wycombe