East Tisted, Hampshire
Tisted, East, a parish, with three tithings, in Hants, 4¼ miles S by W of Alton station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Alton. Acreage, 2648; population, 184. Rotherfield Park is the seat of the Scott family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £300 with residence. The church is good, and is in the Gothic style. Three almshouses were erected in 1879.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Tisted St. James|
|Poor Law union||Alton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Tisted from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tisted, East (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of East Tisted are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.