East Meon, Hampshire
Meon, East, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands in a long valley, among chalk hills, 5 miles WSW of Petersfield station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Petersfield; telegraph office, West Meon. The parish also includes the tithings of Combe, Oxen-bourne, Westbnry, and part of Bordean. Acreage, 11,377; population of civil parish, 1465; of ecclesiastical, 956. The tithings of Langrish, Eamsden, and part of Bordean have been formed into the civil parish of Langrish. The parish council, under the Local Government Act, 1894,consists of nine members. The manor was known at Domesday as Mene, belonged then to Bishop de Blois, and belongs now to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Westbury House is a chief residence. About 1277 acres are downs, and about 1350 are woodland. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; value, £100 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient and cruciform, with a central tower and spire; is supposed to have been built by Bishop Walkelyn, the founder of the Norman portion of Winchester Cathedral; retains the Norman character, unaltered, in the doorways, the tower, and three of the windows; is Early English in the S aisle of nave and chancel; has a later spire upon the tower; and contains a modern stone pulpit, and a very curious ancient, carved, blue lias font. The Lady chapel on the S side of the chancel is Perpendicular. The building has been well preserved. There are five almshonses in the village. A very interesting old building, called the " Court House," is now used as a farmhouse, and is supposed to have belonged to King John. The large hall is much mutilated, but what is supposed to have been the original roof is nearly perfect.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Meon All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Petersfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Meon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Meon, East (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of East Meon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.