Droxford, a village, a parish, and a division in Hants. The village stands 4½ miles ENE of Bishops-Waltham station on the L. & S.W.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bishops-Waltham. The parish comprises the tithings of Droxford Street, Hill, Shidfield, Swanmore, and Steeple Court. Acreage, 6688; population of civil parish, 2381; of ecclesiastical, 518. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, o£302 witli residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is partly Early Norman, and was restored in 1872. The vicarages of Shidtield and Swanmore are separate benefices. There is a workhouse. A bench of magistrates sit here once a fortnight.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Droxford St. Mary and All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Droxford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Droxford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Droxford (St. Mary and All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Droxford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
Villages, Hamlets, &cShidfield
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.