Deane, a parish in Hants, near Oakley station on the L. & S.W.R., and 5½ miles W by S of Basingstoke. Post town, either Whitchurch, Hants, or Micheldever; money order office, Overton; telegraph office, Oakley railway station. Acreage, 1586; population, 121. The manor was bought by the famous bishop, William Wickham, and passed to the Parrotts, the Fieneses, the Deanes, and the Harwoods, and now belongs to the Beach family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; value, £220 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1818. It is a Gothic structure with a lofty square tower, and contains a three-arched stone screen, and several mural monuments.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dean All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Basingstoke|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Deane from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dean (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Deane are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.