Curdridge, an ecclesiastical parish in Hants, near Botley railway station, on the L. & S.W.R., and 3 miles SSW of Bishops-Waltham. It has a post and money order office under Botley (S.O.); telegraph office, Botley. Population, 581. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; value, £260. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church was built in 1887. It is a building of flint, with stone dressings, in the 15th century style. It was completed in 1894, with tower clock and bells, at a cost of £2500.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Bishop's Waltham|
|Poor Law union||Droxford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Curdridge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Curdridge)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Curdridge are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.