UK Genealogy Archives logo

Crofton, Hampshire

Historical Description

Crofton, an ecclesiastical parish, consisting of a coterie of hamlets on the shores of the Solent, between Southampton Water and Stokes Bay. It is 2¼ miles from Fareham station on the S. W. R., and includes the hamlets of Stubbington, with post, money order, and telegraph office; also Lee, with post office and branch railway to Brockhurst, and Hill Head. Croftune was an ancient chapelry, mentioned in Domesday book, attached to the monastery of Ticefield. In 1871 it was constituted a separate ecclesiastical parish. Population, 1252. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The Church of Holy Rood was erected in 1878; it is in the Early English style, and is a handsome structure of stone and flint. The east and west windows are filled with stained glass of peculiar richness, and the walls of the chancel are filled with paintings on Minton's tiles, representing the Twelve Apostles (by Gibbs).

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHampshire 
Civil parishTitchfield 
Poor Law unionFareham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Crofton from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:

Villages, Hamlets, &c


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.