Crawley, a parish in Hants, 4 miles E of Stockbridge station on the S.W.R., and 5½ NW of Winchester. It includes Hunton chapelry, and has a post office under Winchester; money order and telegraph office, Winchester. Acreage, 3607; population of the civil parish, 410; of the ecclesiastical, 481. Crawley Court is the seat of the Kennard family. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Hunton, in the diocese of Winchester; joint net value, £420 with residence. Patron, Queen's College, Oxford. The nave of the church is Late Tudor, with a square tower. The chancel was rebuilt in 1887.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Crawley St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Winchester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Crawley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Crawley (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Crawley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.