Combe, a parish in Hants, at the boundary with Berks and Wiltshire, 6 miles SSE of Hungerford station on the G.W.R., and 10¼ N of Andover. It includes the hamlet of Eastwick, and has a post and money order office under Hungerford; telegraph office, Kintbury railway station. Acreage, 2212; population, 92. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; value, £131 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Windsor. The church is a very small ancient building with a small wooden tower; it was restored in 1881.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Combe St. Swithin|
|Poor Law union||Hungerford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The registers date from the year 1516.
Church of England
St. Swithin (parish church)
The church of St. Swithin is a small, plain flint fabric in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, and a low wooden tower at the west end with 3 bells: it was restored in 1881 by public subscription at a cost of £1,495: there are 80 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Combe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Combe (St. Swithin))
- Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1915
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
Under the provisions of the "Local Government Act, 1894" (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), this parish, on April 3, 1895, was transferred from Hants to Berks for civil purposes only.
Villages, Hamlets, &cEast Wick
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.