UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Colemore or Colmer, Hampshire

Historical Description

Colemore or Colmer, a parish in Hants, 6 miles S by W of Alton station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town and money order office, Alton; telegraph office, Privett. .Acreage, 1472; population, 87. The surface is hilly. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Priors-Dean, in the diocese of Winchester; joint net value, £331 with residence. The church is good. The learned John Greaves was the eldest son of John Greaves, who was rector 1609-16. The manor was given by King John to Southwick Priory. At the dissolution it was granted to Queen Katherine Howard, and afterwards to Edward Elvington. In 1601 it belonged to the Compton family located at Priors Dean, and in 1657, through the death of Compton Tichborne (grandson of Sir John Compton) without issue, came to the Tichborne family.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHampshire 
HundredBarton Stacey 
Poor Law unionPetersfield 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Colemore or Colmer from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Colemore or Colmer are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.