Church Oakley, Hampshire
Church-Oakley, a parish in Hants, 1 mile from Oakley station on the L. & S.W.R., and 4½ miles WSW of Basingstoke. It has a post and money order office under Basing-stokc; telegraph office, Oakley railway station. Acreage, 1630; population, 313. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £217 with residence. Patron, Queen's College, Oxford. The church was rebuilt in 1869, and an organ set up in 1874. It contains a monument of Archbishop Warham, who was born at Malshanger House.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Church Oakley St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Basingstoke|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Church Oakley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Oakley, Church (St. Leonard))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Church Oakley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.