Chilcomb, a parish in Hants, near the river Itchen, 2 miles SE of Winchester. Post town, Winchester; money order and telegraph office, Winchester. Acreage, 2146; population, 1052. There are extensive limeworks. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; value, £200. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is Saxon (1060), with a very singular window of later date, and includes in its pavement some encaustic tiles. The parish reaches to Winchester, and includes the new part of the E side of the city. A new church (All Saints) was built for the city portion of the parish in 1894. A very interesting account of the parish as " Ciltecombe" is in Domesday Book.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Winchester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chilcomb from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chilcomb)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Chilcomb are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.