Chilbolton, a parish in Hants, on the river Anton, 1 mile from Wherwell station on the L. & S.W.R., and 4 miles SSE of Andover. It has a post office under Stockbridge; money order office, Wherwell; telegraph office, Fullerton railway station. Acreage, 3134; population, 358. The manor belonged at Domesday to the Bishop of Winchester. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; value, £429 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is Early English, well restored, and has a modern tower. Sir William Jones the Oriental traveller was for some time a resident.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chilbolton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Andover|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chilbolton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chilbolton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Chilbolton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.