Cheriton, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands 3 miles S by W of New Alresford station on the L. & S.W.R., and 6— E of Winchester, has a post office under Alresford, and was the scene of a battle in 1644 called Alresford fight. The parish comprises 3269 acres; population, 596. The surface is partly hilly. The living is a rectory, united with the perpetual curacy of Titchbourn, in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £496, in the gift of the Crown. The united population is 897. The church is Early English, and has a tower partly transition Norman, partly modern. It was restored in 1879. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cheriton St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Alresford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cheriton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cheriton (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Cheriton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.